Saturday, March 10, 2012

Photo Credit: Eric Mathis
Wow, what a week. This has been the busiest and longest week that I have had in quite some time. Now, it is Friday afternoon and I am looking forward to a relaxing weekend...of studying and preparing for finals. Oh well, at least it is the weekend, and Sabbath will soon be here.

The first reason that this week seemed about three times as long as it should have been is because I had a report due on Friday of a book I started reading on Monday. I only had to read about 100 pages, but this was not a book with any sort of storyline, plot, or in my opinion, any point to it whatsoever. It was a book about the science of translation. I had to read this book because I am in the translation class here, and the name of the class pretty much sums up the point of the class. This was a book on how to translate; a book of more than 300 pages explaining translation, the science behind it, its history, and of course, its importance.  Let me give you just a thirty second synopsis of what I have read this week, and what I have learned from it: Translation is the art of converting a written or spoken work from one language to another, it has been going on ever since those knuckleheads at the Tower of Babel got all mixed up, and last but not least, it is important because it makes works and ideas in other languages more universal for more people to understand.  There. You have just learned all I have learned from 100 pages of the most boring book in the world. Not only was there no flow and no relevance from topic to topic, but of course it had words that are used just to make the author sound smarter than she really is, half of which I had never seen before.
I have woken up every morning at 6:30am pretty much every day this week to read that **** book. Now that it has been read, and my report on it has been written- which basically says exactly what I just told you about the book, just buttered up a bit for the professor, I plan to sestar (if you know a little bit about Spanish, you might get the joke. If not, don't beat yourself up- it's my kind of humor), play basketball, go on a bike ride, and shoot the breeze in my hammock.

This week has been the week of prayer here, and our praise band/ choir was responsible for Tuesday and Thursday. I have thoroughly enjoyed the week of prayer so far, and it has been a blessing, but some nights it was hard to head out there and keep my head in it when I knew that about two hours out of my evening were gone, and once I got back to the room it would be time to not only work hard, but try to make up some time as well. All in all, everything worked out, and we are here at the weekend, Gracias a Dios.




Another source of stress for me this week was our Flamenco class performance on Thursday. Of course the big question of  the week was, "are we ready", and of course we were all asking that until the performance. Brittney, my dance partner, and I felt pretty good about the dance we had to do, but of course, just one moment of forgetfulness can mess up the rest of the dance that all of us have worked two months on, and it can look like we just horsed around the whole time, but I guess that is just what performance is. All in all, everyone did very well in the performance, and we all had a great time, though we were all happy for it to be over with.

 Well, in four more school days, finals will be over, I will have a week off, and my dad will be here three days after I start school again. If I can just make that final push, it is all gravy after that. Happy Sabbath to everyone, and have a great week.







1 comment:

  1. Please tell me you posted a video somewhere. I want to see the dancing.

    ReplyDelete